Are you a Student seeking for financial aid to continue your education, otherwise you will be incapable to attend school? All you need is your Identification card and follow this article. Note that with the student loan you do not need a collateral not a credit history to receive a student loan.
About Student’s Loan Trust Fund
The Student’s Loan Trust Fund (SLTF) was founded in December 2005 under the Trustee Incorporation Act 1962, Act 106 with objectives to render financial resources to help boost and alleviate the national ideals enshrined in Article 25 and 38 of the 1992 Constitution.
Student Loan Details: Student Loan in Ghana
In achieving the objectives of the Trust Fund, funds from the organization must be applied to the relevant activities that the Trustees of the Fund may determine, including, in particular
- The provision of facilities to enhance the tertiary education to support students.
- The provision of moneys to support any other activities and programmes for the promotion of relevant courses as determined by the Trustees, in consultation with the Minister.
The Students Loans Trust Fund is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the President of the Republic and their functions include:
- Provide first stop for student inquiries.
- Pickup and drop off points for Loan Application forms.
- Loan Application verification for completeness of forms.
- Liaise between the SLTF and the loan applicants.
- Disseminate information to students in a timely manner.
The sources of loanable funds for SLTF include:
- Monies paid into the Trust Fund representing up to ten percent of all the inflows into the Ghana Education Trust Fund.
- Voluntary contributions, which will be tax-deductible.
- Mobilization of resources from Ghana’s international partners interested in the advancement of tertiary education.
- Contributions from the corporate sector that shall be tax-deductible up to the equivalent of 0.5% of the company’s actual profit before tax.
- Loans from Social Security and National Insurance Trust.
Requirements for Student Loan in Ghana
- To be eligible to apply for Student Loan, you must be a Ghanaian.
- You must have been offered admission to study an accredited tertiary programme in Ghana.
- You must be pursuing tertiary programme such as a diploma or 1st degree.
- You must have a valid Ghana Card Number (can be acquired at designated GRA offices for free)
- You must have an active registered Mobile Phone Number
- You must have a valid Email Address
- You must have a Student ID card or admission letter
- You must have an E-zwich Card (can be obtained at any bank)
How to Apply: How to get a Student Loan in Ghana
To apply for Student Loan, follow the step-by-step procedure below;
- Click on the Signup button
- You may read the legal notice and click on Agree, that is, if you agree.
- Enter your First name, Middle Name, Last Name and Date of Birth then Click Next
- On user account info. page, tick the box “I agree to terms of service”(ie., if you agree to the terms of service) and click on Create Account button
- Once you create your account successfully, you will receive an activation code on your phone number or email. Input the code you received in the textbox and click on Activate Account button
- If for any reason you did not receive your activation code after 24hours, kindly contact the nearest Students Loan office for assistance.
- Note that any activation code sent to you expires after 48hours.
- Also make sure you enter your correct active phone number and email address should be in small letters to receive the activation code.
How to Activate your Student Loan Account
If you are not able to Activate your account;
- Click on Login button on the homepage, then click on Activate Account below the Sign in form
- Enter your Ghana card number/SSNIT number and click on Send Code
- Once you receive the activation code enter it into the Verification Code input field and click on Verify button.
- After activating your account, you can now Sign in to fill your students loan application form online.
Forgotten Password: Recover Your Student Loan Password
If you have forgotten your password;
- Click on Login button on the homepage, then click on Forgotten Password below the Sign in form
- Enter your Ghana card number/SSNIT number and click on Next
- Click on Send Code to request for your activation code.
- Your activation code will be sent through SMS. Input the code in the Verification Code input field and click on Verify.
- Enter your new password and click on Submit.
- Login with your Ghana card number/SSNIT number and your new password.
Note: If for any reason you did not receive your activation code after 24hours, kindly contact the nearest Students Loan office for assistance.
How to Complete Student Loan Application
To complete the whole application process you need to;
- Upload all required and relevant supporting documents.
- Confirm your application items.
- Download and Upload all Agreement documents requested by the application.
- Take your biometric fingerprint at the nearest zonal or campus offices.
You will be contacted via email when your application is duely. That’s all you need to do!
Note that the Students Loan Trust Fund (SLTF) does not charge for processing of loan applications, hence applicants are advised to deal only with officials of the Fund and are at no point required to make any payments for the service.
Borrowers who are making payments are advised to use only SLTF approved repayment channels on our website. Visit contact page for a list of all official phone numbers, including our zonal offices across the country or call 0302751020 for more information, or to report any acts of extortion.
The Trust Fund will publish the names of these defaulters and their respective amounts in the National dailies if they fail to repay their loans on time.
Check Defaulters List Here
Student Loan Repayment
In other to maintain the value of the money and preserve the Fund for posterity, interest is charged on the loan at a highly subsided rate. Inflation is an important factor in determining the interest rate.
The following schedule of interest rate shall be charged on the loan:
|NATIONAL SERVICE PERIOD
|1-YEAR GRACE PERIOD
|*GOG182 dayT-bill rate
|*GOG182 dayT-bill rate
|*GOG182 day T-bill rate
|*GOG182 dayT-bill rate + 2%
* GOG – Government of Ghana.
# Maximum rate applied will be 12% until reviewed. In effect where the T-bill rate goes beyond 12% the SLTF shall fix the rate at 12%.
Loan Repayment Period
|*Number of Loans taken
|National Service Period (Yrs)
|Grace Period (Yrs)
|Repayment Period (Yrs)
* The total loan received in an academic year is considered as one loan taken
- It is in the interest of applicants to pay off their loan sooner than the repayment period given, in order to reduce the interest charges.
- Students loan repayment made easy. Please contact our partner banks with your Social Security number to make payments:
- GHANA COMMERCIAL BANK: SMART PAY
- NATIONAL INVESTMENT BANK: SPECIAL SLTF PAY IN SLIP
- ECOBANK GHANA: BANK – COLLECT
- GT COLLECT: CUSTOMIZED PAY IN SLIP
Borrowers can walk into the head office of the SLTF to make payment at no. 47, 3rd Crescent Avenue Asylum Down, near Highgate Hotel.
Borrowers can now make their Students Loan payment by any of the following modes/platforms quoting clearly your Social Security Number (SSN):
How to repay Student loan via Mobile Money
- Dial the Short code *737*206#
- Enter your Social Security Number and follow prompts to make payment
How to repay Student loan via MyGHPay
- Visit the website: www.myghpay.com or download the myghpay app on Google Play Store
- Click on SLTF (Student’s Loan Trust Fund) Logo to proceed
- Enter your details to Register/Login and follow the onscreen prompts to make payment with either your Visa, MasterCard (OR) Mobile Money.
How to repay Student loan via GT Bank
- Make payment at ANY GT Bank branch across the country, using customised pay-in slip.