Before applying as a Student of the University for Development Studies during the 2022/2023 Academic year, you must meet some basic requirements as well as be enlighten on the Courses/Programmes they undertake.
WASSCE Holders (for Degree Programmes)
WASSCE holders seeking admission into Degree programmes must have at least C6 in all their three Core and three Elective Subjects.
WASSCE holders who have Grade D7 or E8 or F9 in any one of their three Core or three Elective subjects are advised not to apply for a degree programme.
Candidates should therefore possess, at least, credit scores/grades in the following:
• Three Core Subjects (English Language, Mathematics (Core) and Integrated Science / Social Studies).
• Any three Elective subjects in the relevant programmes.
• Aggregate Score of the best six (6) subjects (three core and three electives) must not exceed 36. However, admissions will be on competitive basis, and various programmes offered in UDS have their cut-off points much lower than aggregate 36 for WASSCE.
• Candidates should note that Social Studies is not an elective subject.
• For candidates who read Arts and Business subjects at WASSCE, a grade in Social Studies may be used in place of the grade in Integrated Science in the calculation of their aggregates if the Social Studies grade is better than the grade in Integrated Science. This is however on condition that the candidate has at least a pass in Integrated Science.
• For Science students, however, Social Studies (Core) does not replace Integrated Science (Core) in the calculation of candidates’ aggregates.
WASSCE Holders (for Diploma Programmes)
Candidates who do not meet the requirements for Degree programmes in UDS are advised to apply for any one of the Diploma programmes (Diploma in Development Education, Basic Education, Early Childhood, Care and Education, all of which are offered at the Tamale Campus; Diploma in Social Change Communication, Agriculture Technology, Family and Consumer Science, Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Natural Resource Management are offered on Nyankpala Campus)
• To be admitted into a Diploma programme, three credits passes in the area of specialization (elective subjects) and at least two passes ( D7 or better) in English Language and Mathematics in WASSCE is required. Any candidate without a pass in English Language and Mathematics (core) need not apply for the Diploma. It is not likely that all candidates with the minimum requirements for Diploma programmes will be admitted. Preference will be given to candidates who have good grades/credit passes.
Candidates, who have met the requirements for Degree programmes (Credits in three electives and three core subjects), but have aggregates that are not good enough may be admitted into Diploma programmes.
Programmes available for 2022/2023 Academic Year
The following courses are currently offered by the University.
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (SoM)
- 6-Year Medicine (MBChB) (This programme is for only WASSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects)
- 6-Year Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) (This programme is for only WASSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects)
- 4-Year BSc (Physician Assistant) This programme is for only WASSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects)
SCHOOL OF ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES (SAHS)
- 6-Year Doctor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS.D)
Admission / Entry Requirement
Applicants to the 6-Year Doctor of Medical Laboratory Science (MLS.D) degree must have Credit in the THREE WASSCE core subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science plus credits in THREE WASSCE electives: Biology, Chemistry and Physics/Mathematics).
- 4-Year BSc (Community Nutrition) (This is a science-based programme for WASSCE holders). Home Economics candidates are also eligible to apply.
- 4-Year BSc Medical Imaging Technology) (This is a science-based programme for WASSCE holders). Home Economics candidates are not eligible to apply.
SCHOOL OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
- 4-Year BSc (Nursing) (for WASSCE holders) Candidates with business subjects are advised not to apply for Nursing. Only Pure Science, Agricultural Science, Arts or Home Economics candidates are eligible to apply
- 4-Year BSc (Midwifery) (for WASSCE holders) Candidates with Business subjects are advised not to apply. Only Pure Science, Agricultural Science, Arts or Home Economics candidates are eligible to apply.
SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
- 4-Year BSc (Health Information Management) (for WASSCE holders) This is a science-based programme. Other candidates with Business subjects, Agricultural Science, Arts or Home Economics are also eligible to apply
FACULTY OF EDUCATION (FOE)
The Faculty of Education is admitting suitably qualified persons into a fulltime and/or a top-up Bachelor of Education programmes in the following courses
- 4-Year B.ED (Social Science)
- 4-Year B.ED (Business Studies)
- 4-Year B.ED (Agriculture Science) – Nyankpala Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Family and Consumer Science) – Nyankpala Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Mathematics)
- 4-Year B.ED (Science)
- 4-Year B.Ed in Basic Education(Lower Primary, Upper Primary, and JHS) – Tamale Campus
- 4-Year B.Ed in Early Childhood Care and Education.
- 2-Year Diploma in Basic Education
- 2-Year Diploma in Early Childhood care and Education
FACULTY OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (FSDS)
- 4-Year BA (Development Education)
- 2-Year Diploma in Development Education
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE, FOOD AND CONSUMER SCIENCES (FoAFCS)
- 4-Year BSc Agriculture Technology (Agricultural Mechanization & Irrigation Technology, Agronomy, Agricultural Economics & Extension, Animal Science and Horticulture)
- 4-Year BSc (Family & Consumer Sciences)
- 4-Year BEd (Agricultural Science)
- 4-Year BSc Veterinary Nursing
- 4-Year BSc Food Science and Technology
- 4-Year BSc Agribusiness (Agricultural & Resource Economics, Agribusiness Management & Finance, Agricultural Extension, Rural Development & Gender Studies, Climate Change and Food Security) This programme is for both science-based SSCE/WASSCE holders and non-science-based applicants with three (3) credit passes in core subjects and three (3) credit passes in the elective subjects
- 2-Year Diploma in Agriculture Technology
- 2-Year Diploma in Agribusiness
- 2-Year Diploma in Family & Consumer Sciences
- 2-Year Diploma in Food Science and Technology
FACULTY OF BIOSCIENCES (FoB)
- 4-Year BSc Biotechnology and Molecular Biology
- 4-Year BSc Aquaculture Technology and Fisheries Sciences
- 2-Year Diploma in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology
- 2-Year Diploma Aquaculture Technology and Fisheries Sciences
Department of Microbiology
- Certificate in Food Safety
The programme has six (6) weeks duration (Module 1 to 4 will have eight (8) hours per module, maximum of 4 hours per day).
Practical session will take four (4) days continuously but six (6) days for those who opt for an academic certificate.
a. Degree and HND holders from any discipline who are interested in Food Safety
b. JHS, SSSCE, WASSCE and Vocational School graduates who are interested in Food Safety
c. Personnel involved in food handling in the hospitality and food industries (Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Cold Stores etc.)
d. Sachet/Bottle Water producers, bottlers of various local drinks and packagers of various local food products.
e. Street food vendors (teaching will be translated into various local languages that participants understand properly, in case they do not understand English).
f. Cooking staff of Senior High Schools, Colleges of Education, Staff of the Ghana School Feeding programmes, etc.
g. Domestic cooks, who are interested in food safety
h. Any other interested person working in the food supply chain
APPLICATION IS FREE!
For more enquiries and application, interested applicants should contact:
1. Dr. Courage K. S. Saba
Department of Microbiology
Faculty of Biosciences
Email: [email protected]
2. Deputy Registrar
Academic and Students’ Affairs Department
Email: [email protected]
FACULTY OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENT (FNRE)
- 4-Year BSc Renewable Natural Resources (Forest & Forest Resources Management; Range & Wildlife Management; Ecotourism & Environmental Management; and Fisheries & Aquatic Resource Management options)
- 4-Year BSc Ecotourism and Hospitality Management
- 4-Year BSc Environmental Management and Sustainability
- 4-Year BSc Forest Resource Conservation and Management
These programmes are for Pure Science or Agricultural Science (WASSCE) holders only. However, non-science-based applicants with credit passes in Elective Mathematics, Economics and Geography and at least C4 in Integrated Science qualify to apply.
- 2-Year Diploma in Natural Resource Management
FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND CULTURAL STUDIES (FCCS)
- 4-Year BSc Social Change Communication (This is a non science-based programme for non science-based SSSCE/WASSCE holders but Science-based students are also eligible to apply)
- 2-Year Diploma in Social Change Communication
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING (SoE)
- 4-Year BSc Mechanical Engineering (Options in Thermo-Fluids & Energy Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Applied Mechanic Engineering, Design & Production Engineering)
- 4-Year BSc Agricultural Engineering (options in Food & Post Harvest Engineering, Soil & Water Conservation Engineering, Farm Power & Machinery Engineering, Irrigation & Drainage Engineering)
Below are various Undergraduate Programs you can opt for.
|1||BA Development Education||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|2||BEd Agricultural Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|3||BEd Arabic||Faculty of Education|
|4||BEd Basic Education||Faculty of Education|
|5||BEd Business Studies||Faculty of Education|
|6||BEd Early Childhood Care And Education||Faculty of Education|
|7||BEd Family And Consumer Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|8||BEd Social Science||Faculty of Education|
|9||BSc Agribusiness||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|10||BSc Agriculture Technology||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|11||BSc Aquaculture Technology And Fisheries Science||Faculty of Biosciences|
|12||BSc Biotechnology And Molecular Biology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|13||BSc Community Nutrition||School of Allied Health Sciences|
|14||BSc Ecotourism And Hospitality Management||Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment|
|15||BSc Environmental Management And Sustainability||Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment|
|16||BSc Family And Consumer Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|17||BSc Fisheries And Aquaculture Technology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|18||BSc Food Science And Technology||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|19||BSc Forest Resource Conservation And Management||Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment|
|20||BSc Health Information Management||School of Public Health|
|21||BSc Medical Imaging Technology||School of Allied Health Sciences|
|22||BSc Midwifery||School of Nursing and Midwifery|
|23||BSc Nurse Anaesthesia||School of Medicine|
|24||BSc Nurse Practitioner||School of Nursing and Midwifery|
|25||BSc Nursing||School of Nursing and Midwifery|
|26||BSc Paediatric Nursing||School of Nursing and Midwifery|
|27||BSc Physician Assistant||School of Medicine|
|28||BSc Renewable Natural Resources||Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment|
|29||BSc Social Change Communication||Faculty of Communication and Cultural Studies|
|30||BSc Veterinary Nursing||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|31||Certificate In Early Childhood Care And Education||Faculty of Education|
|32||Diploma In Agriculture Science Education||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|33||Diploma In Agriculture Technology||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|34||Diploma In Basic Education||Faculty of Education|
|35||Diploma In Biotechnology And Molecular Biology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|36||Diploma In Development Education||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|37||Diploma In Development Education Studies||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|38||Diploma In Early Childhood Care And Education||Faculty of Education|
|39||Diploma In Family And Consumer Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|40||Diploma In Social Change Communication||Faculty of Communication and Cultural Studies|
|41||Doctor Of Medical Laboratory Science||School of Allied Health Sciences|
|42||Doctor Of Pharmacy||School of Medicine|
|43||MBChB (Medicine)||School of Medicine|
|1||MA Development Education Studies||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|2||Master Of Public Health||School of Public Health|
|3||MEd Agricultural Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|4||MEd Educational Management And Planning||Faculty of Education|
|5||MEd Measurement And Evaluation||Faculty of Education|
|6||MEd Special Education||Faculty of Education|
|7||MEd Training And Development||Faculty of Education|
|8||MPH Environmental Health||School of Public Health|
|9||MPH Maternal And Child Health||School of Public Health|
|10||MPhil Agricultural Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|11||MPhil Agricultural Science||Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Sciences|
|12||MPhil Biotechnology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|13||MPhil Chemical Pathology||School of Allied Health Sciences|
|14||MPhil Community Health And Development||School of Public Health|
|15||MPhil Development Education Studies||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|16||MPhil Educational Management And Planning||Faculty of Education|
|17||MPhil Fisheries||Faculty of Biosciences|
|18||MPhil Fisheries Science||Faculty of Biosciences|
|19||MPhil Irrigation And Drainage Engineering||School of Engineering|
|20||MPhil Measurement And Evaluation||Faculty of Education|
|21||MPhil Public Health Nutrition||School of Public Health|
|22||MPhil Special Education||Faculty of Education|
|23||MPhil Training And Development||Faculty of Education|
|24||MSc Biotechnology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|25||MSc Community Disaster Resilience Studies||School of Public Health|
|26||MSc Community Health And Development||School of Public Health|
|27||MSc Irrigation And Drainage Engineering||School of Engineering|
|28||MSc Public Health Nutrition||School of Public Health|
|29||PhD Biotechnology||Faculty of Biosciences|
|30||PhD Chemical Pathology||School of Allied Health Sciences|
|31||PhD Development Education Studies||Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies|
|32||PhD Irrigation And Drainage Engineering||School of Engineering|
|33||Postgraduate Diploma In Education||Faculty of Education|